Wednesday, November 12, 2008

One Step Closer!


I never thought I would be standing in front of my peers, faculty, and my family giving my Capstone presentation as a Broadcast Communications major. I came to Westminster with the intent of becoming a dentist…which meant that I would be a biology major. The short version of the story is that I was not interested in Bio, I couldn’t understand what I was reading or why I was dissecting animals when all I wanted to do was work on teeth? When it became time to switch majors and try something new and exciting it was hard for me to think of things that I had an interest, but then the light bulb turned on…I love sports!

I wasn’t very interested in going into the field of sports management or sports medicine…that would only mean more bio and math classes. By Mom was actually the one who suggested going into broadcast communications. Should told me that speaking in front of people and being an overall “people person” this could definitely be something that I was good at. The rest is history!

Monday I did present my senior capstone project which was my resume tape. Since my internship I have become very interested in Video Journalism and of course even more intrigued by anchoring! So I decided that my project was going to be to put together a sports package for Titan-Town sports every other week, and to meet with my mentor Bill on what makes a good resume tape, and then present his advice and my resume tape as my capstone presentation.

It seemed to go over well. I had my family, friends, and professors watch my tape and then they were able to give me feed back. All of my hard work seemed to pay off considering the past few weeks that I have been putting this resume tape together everything that could go wrong has, but that’s behind me! The reason is because I felt like I did a great job and so did everyone else who came to support me (which meant a lot to me!) I even had two special guests. Bill Castrovince and Joe Allusio (another sports anchor at the station I interned at)! They were such a hit! Everyone got to talk to them and they are such down to earth guys….I even got my picture take with them which is the one I posted so make sure you check it out! Since I was the first one to go in my class I can now just sit back and relax! I feel like I have a big weight lifted off of my shoulders now that I am finished with my project I also feel that my project was a great accomplishment! I am now one step closer to stepping out into the “real world!”

No comments: