Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let the Games Begin!

Our Capstone assignment this week is to choose a job we would like to apply for and then create a cover letter in response to the job.

I REPEAT this is just a class assignment!

Sports Reporter / Anchor
Job Description
Make your mark in Broadcasting. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc is one of the largest and most diversified television broadcasting companies in the nation, programming 58 stations located in 36 geographically diverse markets, with 33 of those in the top 47 markets in the United States. Our success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believes in a vision and is dedicated to making Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc a communications powerhouse. We are advancing the world of Broadcasting and we want YOU to join our winning team! If you love sports... this is the job you have been waiting for! WKEFABC 22 AND WRGT FOX 45 in Dayton, Ohio has an immediate opening for a full-time Sports Reporter/Weekend Anchor. WKEF/WRGT maintains a strong commitment to sports... covering everything from high school to the pros. We need a proven utility player... someone who has the ability to report, shoot, edit, produce, and anchor. We have DVC Pro cameras and AVID editors. You may be trained to operate a live microwave van. We're looking for creativity and energy. Flexibility is also important... expect frequent schedule changes to accommodate coverage needs. No phone calls please.

( Sample Cover Letter)

Dear Mr.Casey:
I am writing in reply to the Sports Reporter/Anchor Position. I am perfect for this position because I am very dedicated, creative, and like challenges. I am knowledgeable in most sports, and have a passion for telling people what is going on in the world of sports. I have played high school and collegiate tennis so that is one sport I am extremely bright in.
For the past year I have been the sports anchor for our college cable television show Titan Town Sports. I have been taking the Video Journalist approach where I have shot packages, edited them, and then anchored them during the segment. During the segment I not only focus on local sports, but surrounding professional sports as well like the Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, Cleveland Browns, Cavaliers, and Indians. I am also the executive producer of the show where I create the rundown and make sure everything runs smoothly. The one thing I like about producing is that I get to demonstrate my creativeness by thinking outside of the box. I have done this by doing packages on The Special Olympics Bocce Program in Lawrence County and how New Castle Thunder Owner Anthony Razzano was severely burned in a garage fire, but has overcame that slim chance or survival and has started two organizations.
Thank you for your time. Although I may not know every detail about every sport, I am willing to learn. I hope you give me that opportunity and will consider me for this job. I promise you won’t regret your decision.
Sincerely,

No comments: