Friday, March 14, 2008

Student Athlete

So with basketball season coming to a near end, I've had some extra time to work on my student athlete assignment. Bob asked me to go out with Bill while he filmed a student athlete of the week so I could see what it was all about. My assignment would then be that when I returned I would be writing a story for student athlete, editing it, and voicing it as well. This could be something I could use in the future for my resume tape, or just to have as a keepsake from my internship. I've been pretty excited about starting to work on it, but with basketball season in full bloom a few weeks ago it made it hard. So I've now got my opportunity to start working on it and seeing what direction exactly I wanted to go in with it. I knew right away that I wanted to talk about her academic achievements, teamwork, and advice her Father gave her when she first began her basketball career. On our way back from filming, I talked these ideas over with Bill and these were things he definitely was going to mention in his student athlete story. This was a good thing, because I then knew I was on the right track, and if these were things that caught my ear I'm sure it would catch the listeners ear as well.

I can't wait to go back from break and start editing. Their editing program is different than what I'm used to using at Westminster, but I'm sure I can pick it up and catch on. I have already wrote everything I want to voice for it, I just have to add the sound bites. I intentionally didn't watch the student athlete segment on the news that way I wouldn't be tempted to write it the way Bill did, but instead be able to be creative and write it the way I wanted to do it. I think this was a great suggestion because it gives me another great opportunity to work on different equipment and to write and report stories. These are all things that I like to do, and they are giving me yet another opportunity to show them my creativity, and may be another thing to help get my foot in the door.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

I like to hear from you about the editing system your using-- and find out how it compares to Adobe Premiere.