Friday, April 11, 2008

On My Own!


My internship was amazing this week! I was finally on my own editing. I still had a few finishing touches to add to my student athlete package that I told you about last week. So I figured now was as good a time as ever to put my finishing touches on that package, and do it on my own. I was amazed how fast I learned my way around everything. I'm a very hands on kind of learner. If I just watch what is going on, but never try it myself I won't learn a thing. If I just explore everything, and learn what everything is chances are I will be able to remember what I did and even pick up a few tricks along the way. The only thing I wanted to make sure was that I couldn't mess anything up that would cause the news to not run or change the order or anything, I mean anything is possible when I'm around!

It all worked out wonderful, I mean one day when they were showing me the editing system I was just thinking to myself, "There is no way I'm ever going to remember that." A week later I was finishing up my own package with very little help. I mean I'm not a professional or anything at this system, but I was proud that I was learning something and had showed progression. I felt so confident that I even asked Bob if I could do another package on this week's athlete because I had shot my own stand up when we were at the tennis club, plus it dealt with one of my loves....tennis! He agreed, and was excited, I think mainly because I was excited and so enthusiastic to do something else on my own.

It took me a little longer than the average package I would do here because I was still learning where everything was and what it all does. I put my sound-bites in, wrote my script and voiced it, and last but not least was the editing of the video and putting it all together. I really liked how it turned out and so did Bob. He told me that I wrote into the bites really well and that my stand up looked good. I know he was probably thinking that I was talking too fast or that I was too stiff, but he never said anything like that, maybe I was just thinking that and was being too hard on myself. I'm just one of those people who like to learn and practice, yet be critical of myself because there's always room for improvement.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and I'm pleased with how they both turned out. Although, my favorite was the tennis package because I did it all by myself! Now I have two more things I can take with me when I leave my internship!

No comments: