Thursday, April 3, 2008

Stand up!

So I know I have been writing a lot in the past few weeks about my creation of student athlete. Well I have some new updates on that project, as well as some new ones. This week when I went in for my internship I had Bill read over what I had wrote to go along with my student athlete story. He was impressed, but gave me a few suggestions on how to make it sound more conversational. I re-vised it, and then I began starting the editing process. Bill had to fill in for Bob during the 6 PM News so I asked him if he would mind if I messed around with the editing system so I could find out where everything is and how it all works. That is just how I learn, I am a very hands on type of person. He told me that it was okay, and I went on my way. It's very similar to the system I use here at school so it wasn't too hard at all. So not only did I finally finish my athlete story....but I did it all by myself by exploring the program!

Bill had a suprise for me up his sleeve. He asked me if I would want to go out with him to do another student athlete with him who is a tennis player. In case you didn't know, tennis is my life. I have played for almost eight years, and even taught lessons at our Country Club last summer, so I was very excited! There was a twist to this though, not only would I be going out to hear this student's story about tennis, but I would be shooting my first stand up. I can't even describe how I felt at that moment. I was so excited to shoot my first stand up and since I know so much about tennis I knew it would just flow right out of me because I know so much about the sport and what's going on.

We did the interview, got some shots of the athlete playing, and then it was that time....stand up time! I'm so used to reading from scripts and with stand ups, well atleast this one, there would be no script included. I knew what I wanted to say, but with Bill being there it made me a little nervous. This is a guy who's been doing sports and stand up's for awhile...what if I fell on my face! I didn't! I kept stumbling when saying it out loud to Bill, and he suggested that we turn on the camera and begin recording it. My first take came our perfect, it was like since the camera was on the mood just changed. I was no longer nervous but excited. I felt like such a professional. We did a few takes and Bill told me I was a natral. When we got back to the studio we watched it, and I was so proud of myself! I just need to learn to use my hands more or create movement when describing what I'm talking about!

I actually think I'm going to put together another package on this athlete so I can include my stand up! It helped me to feel more confident in myself! If I didn't know before, I sure do now, that this is exactly what I want to do with my life!

No comments: