Friday, April 18, 2008

Welcome to the World of Arena Football!




I know the past few weeks have been me talking about the excitement of doing packages. This week I got to do something a little more different. This week I not only went out with a different sportscaster, but I was introduced to the world of arena football. There is an arena football team in Youngstown Ohio, which I didn't know. Where I live this isn't something that is offered, so it was new to me. I'm a big football enthusiast, but I didn't know how the two would compare. Not only was I excited to go see what arena football was all about, but I would be going out will Joe. Joe anchors sports at 10, and although I've met him before, I've never got to go out and see how he does everything.

I usually go out with the same person when I film, and I've picked up a lot of good pointers from him. This was my opportunity to go out and pick up a few more from someone else's point of view. When we arrived there I was so overwhelmed, yet excited! The first thing I noticed was that the field is a lot shorter than a normal football field. Joe explained to me that the reason the space is smaller is because it's played an arena and the space is limited. The field is the normal length of a standard NHL hockey rink. I also found out that scoring is the same as in the NFL with the addition of a drop kick field goal worth four points during normal play or two points as a post-touchdown conversion.

Like Bill, Joe is also a video-journalist. He interviewed a player for the Mahoning Valley Thunder, shot a stand up, and then shot some b-roll. I found all of this to be so fascinating because I've never been introduced to the world of arena football before, and I learned some new pointers, such as you don't always get to find out background information on the people you are interviewing or story you are going to do, so when you do a stand up you just need to be simple and to the point, and feed off of what the interviewee says. I was so fascinated by all of this that I'm going to go and watch the Thunder play tonight!

No comments: