Tuesday, September 2, 2008

One of my best professional experiences....my internship!

I know that my main focus last semester was informing you all about my internship at WYTV 33/ WKBN 27. So why would you think that my first entry would be any different? The reason I am writing about my internship right now is because it truly was on of the best professional experiences that I have ever had that helped shape me.

My internship at the station taught me the importance of being on time (or even early), how to dress, shoot video, edit, and overall just how to be a professional while being out in the field. I'm not going to lie, most of the time I am an early bird and am always on time, but there are the occasional times when I was a few minutes behind. While interning at the station I learned the importance of being early because in news or even sports there is always things that can happen and throw everything off. PLUS it really impresses your employer when you are on time!

Being out in the public it's really important to dress your best and look professional! Being a college student, I'm sure most of us are used to wearing jeans and sweats, but this is not the job field for those articles of clothing. Being a broadcast major at Westminster we are give plenty of opportunities to shoot video and edit our packages. The only thing that made it more different when I would do those things at the station was that I felt pressured to complete everything in a timely manner and do the best that I could do because these were actual sportscasters who were going to critique my work!

All of these things are going to help me with hosting Titan Town Sports this year! My capstone project is to make a montage of all of my packages that I do (Bi-weekly) for Titan Town Sports! Since I want to be a sportscaster all of these things are only going to help me even more! Not only am I going to look and sound more professional, but I'm going to gain hands on experience which is a great pay off!

2 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You see the logical links and how the stars align for your goals. From there internship to your project you have a clear path marked out for yourself-- but be open to opportunities that appear.