Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Role Model.....A "Valley" Legend!

I know I say this from time to time, but this blog entry was quite easy for me. I knew exactly who the person was that influenced, helped, and shaped me the most professionally during my years at college. My internship was such a great experience. I can’t think of a better influence than Bob Hannon.
Being a women isn’t easy in the broadcasting field, let alone being a women in sports broadcasting. I thought to myself that if this is seriously what I want to do, I need to know the in and outs of sports. So an idea popped into my head….why not take a class. Bob Hannon was teaching a course about sports broadcasting during the fall semester. I learned so much from him. He taught be not only everything I needed to know about sports, but he taught be that even if I am a girl I can be just as knowledgeable and professional than any male sports guy. I even proved it, because I know for a fact that I had one of the highest grades, if not the highest in the class. He helped to make me feel comfortable and confident going in to sports broadcasting.
During class Bob had mentioned that in the spring they would be looking for interns. I guess you could say I was just a tad bit eager, because I sent him an e-mail right after class. That is how I landed my internship at WKBN/ WYTV. While going to my internship, Bob was a great role model. He was always on time, professional, and a prominent figure in the “Valley.” No matter whom he saw in public, whether he knew them or not he always greeted them with a smile and hello. To the people of Ohio, and even sports fans in Pennsylvania, Bob was the guy to inform you about sports. He taught me so much in such a short amount of time. All things I am going to take with me when I leave Westminster. I want to be like him, but a girl of course, but not exactly like him. Although, he was great at what he did, one thing he taught me was to find my style and stick with it…and that’s just what I am going to do! I’m sad that Bob is no longer in the Sports broadcasting field because he was an excellent person to learn from. I’m even sadder because future broadcasters will not have the opportunity to learn from him. I will never forget everything he has taught me and when I make it big one day, hopefully in ESPN, I can thank him for everything he helped me accomplish!

No comments: