Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Bet You Will NEVER Guess Who I Chose?


Many of you may not know who the great and legendary John McEnroe is. If you don't I must say that I am disappointed but will get you up to speed. McEnroe was one of the most accomplished players in the history of tennis. For four consecutive years he was the world's No. 1 player. He also reached the No. 1 ranking in doubles. Total he captured 77 singles titles, including four US Open titles and three Wimbledon championships. McEnroe also won five times playing doubles at Wimbledon and four times at the US Open. He also won the mixed doubles title at the 1977 French Open with CBS analyst Mary Carillo. http://www.usanetwork.com/sports/usopen/theshow/characterprofiles/mcenroe/index.html
These are just his major accomplishments as an athlete. McEnroe is also lead tennis analyst for USA Sports. In case you did not know this, USA Sports covers the US Open.

I would do anything to meet McEnroe. He has accomplished so much in his life so far. He has not only played tennis for a long period of time he has also excelled in my dream job....a tennis analyst. Tennis has been a major part of my life. It is the sport that I know the most about and the sport that I have the most passion for. I admire him in so many ways. One that seems to stand out to me is that he was accussed of steroid use. Wheather he did or did not use steroids is irrelevent. http://www.cnn.com/2004/SPORT/01/11/mcenroe.steroids.ap/ I admire him for not letting it affect his love for the sport. He could have just walked away or disappeared but he didn't. He has went from being a fantastic player to an even better analyst. He has proved this by being nominated twice for a Sports Emmy Award as "Outstanding Analyst" from USA, CBS, and NBC, and was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in July 1999. I know that I will never make it to play at the US Open or Wimbledon, but as long as i enjoy playing and can teach it to others I am the happiest person alive. No matter where this journey after college will take me one thing is for sure I will always have tennis in my life.

No comments: