Wednesday, October 29, 2008

You Want Me to Do What?

Classes aren’t usually something that I struggle with…. Of course they are challenging but not something I struggle with. Until I had to take a theatre class as part of my broadcasting major requirement. I’ve always been interested in theatre and have been in a few plays, but I have always been a little shy. Maybe even a little embarrassed and scared that I am going to do or say something that is going to make me like stupid. Not feeling confident in my abilities and most importantly myself is sometimes hard for me, but the feeling of getting up in acting in front of someone just made me feel uneasy. I know I have mentioned this class before but it was voice and diction.
When I walked into my first day of class I didn’t know what to expect. I am a very curious person so I did my research. I asked around to older broadcasting majors about what the class was going to be like. I kept getting the same response " That class is quite the class." So what would you think if someone said this to you? I just kept thinking to myself, "okay so is that a good thing or a bad thing." After my first day of class I knew exactly what kind of class this was…. a bad one! Just when he was going over the syllabus I heard three words that I dread hearing…. in front of. We would have to do a monologue in front of the class, do exercises in front of the class, AND practice all of this stuff in front of the class I knew from that point that I wanted to just curl up in a ball somewhere and forget that I ever heard any of this. I know why would I ever be scared of doing anything in front of people? I am on the radio and host a television show, but just think for a moment…. I am never really in front of people. On the radio, you stand in a studio by yourself most of the time and talk to people and relay information. In television, of course you have to read in front of people, but they are all part of the crew and are broadcasting majors. So they are either people I know, or have to go through the same things I have to. This class though was an Intellectual Perspective class, which to sum up for you means that anyone could take it.
One of the scariest things I ever did in that class was recite my monologue. I had to get up in front of everyone and recite something from memory…. oh yeah…and become that character. This was the hardest thing for me, but guess what, I did a great job. I didn’t miss any of my lines and Dr. Mackenzie even mentioned how great of a job I did! Although this was done towards the end of the semester it helped me feel very confident in myself. I knew that if I conquered this I could conquer anything! Now I like to act, scary huh! I never would’ve guessed in a million years that I would ever say that! This class helped me realize that I am unstoppable…I can do anything I put my mind to!

No comments: