Wednesday, February 6, 2008

An Evening With The News Crew


So Monday night i arrived at the WKBN station to find a suprise waiting for me. I was informed that I was going to be going out with a news reporter instead of going out and covering high school basketball games. I was shocked and excited all at the same time because I have often debated on whether or not I want to go into news or sports.

I went out with a reporter to Salem to cover a story on "Project Prom" where four local schools are asking for donations of gently used prom dresses to help out girl's who are having a hard time affording gowns for this year. I really liked the topic that we were covering because anytime it involves helping out a community I am always interested, plus we do something very similar in my hometown so I thought it would be interesting to compare them.

When we arrived we automatically interviewed the senior student who was in charge, and then shot footage of the meeting taking place. The reporter that I was with while shooting the interview had in mind before he got there what exactly he was looking for for a sound bite so it made the editing process a lot easier.

When we went back to the station to put the story together he had in mind already the direction he wanted to go in, so it was all pretty much just capturing the video and adding the sound bites to the footage you wanted to do. One thing I realized though, was that this reporter was very picky about how he worded everything, which is something that I don't usually see with the sports guys.

Overall, I was pleased with how the final product turned out. It was a very good experience because I really like to report on stories that people can relate to, so in that aspect I wouldn't mind reporting news. On the other hand though, I really enjoy sports a lot more and still believe that I want to be a sports anochor one day, but it's always good to experience new things and this experience helped me to decide what area I truly belong in.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Really think about how you can tie these experiences into a direction for a senior project.