Friday, February 22, 2008

Upcoming Meeting With the News Director!

Wednesday my assignment was to go out with Bill and cover boy's high school basketball playoff games. I was pretty excited because I don't mind doing stats for basketball at all. On our way to the game I was filling Bill in on how much i enjoy doing everything from editing to shooting and reporting, and he had a suggestion for me...one I didn't really expect! He told me that I could shoot a little bit of the second game that we were going to and I was really excited about that. We didn't end up staying at that game very long, so I didn't get to shoot, but the news just kept on getting better. He suggested that I have Bob talk to the News Director and introduce me because that is what New Vision (the company who merged WKBN & WYTV) is all about "video journalists". I mean reporting or anchoring is what I one day want to accomplish, but at the same time I don't mind shooting and editing it's kind of like my way of showing creativity. When I first heard what a video journalist was this fall I never really considered it to be something that I would enjoy doing in the future, but the more I started editing and putting packages together in my Video Production class the more I enjoyed doing it! Yesterday, the news got even better when Bob e-mailed me to say that I was going to be meeting with the news director next week. I mean how exciting is this, I thought when I signed up for this internship I was going to be gaining a lot of experience and building upon the knowledge I have already learned, but now I am going to be meeting with the news director which may possibly land me my first job! I'm so excited, and Bill told me that New Vision really wants to hire video journalists just out of college because they can hire one person who can do everything instead of worrying about hiring editors and photographers....it sounds like they are looking for people just like me! This is going to be my first big opportunity!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Congrats!
I made your blog this week one of only two I decided to place on my blog list of the week.