Friday, February 15, 2008

My New Love!


Since I signed up to do my internship in the Spring, I knew I wasn't going to get to go out and cover one of my favorite sports football, but it would most likley be basketball. Basketball is a sport that I'm not really in to watching until March Madness rolls around, but if I want to be in the business of sports I need to be well rounded in all sports.


When I first began a lot of what I was doing was keeping a log of what was happening during a high school basketball game, so that when we arrived back at the studio it would save a lot of time just knowing what we wanted to use and where it was all at. Basketball is a very fast paced sport and when logging you really need to be paying attention to everything that is happening on the court. Little did I know that when I arrived they were going to be sending me out to cover a sport that was not basketball and a sport i didn't know so much about.....ice hockey.


I was shocked and amazed at the same time. All I kept thinking to myself was, do I know enough about this sport, what if I get hit in the head by a puck, or some big brawl happens in the arena....and most of all what did I get myself into. This was one of the best experiences I have encountered with my short time at the station. It was nothing like I expected. The team I was going to watch was the Youngstown Steelhounds. They are not an official NHL team, but more of a minor league. The camera man and I stood right behind the glass, and it was the best! You could hear the players smashing up against the glass, and the sound of the puck hitting the glass and outside of the ring! All I can say is that I hope I get to cover it again it was such a rush!

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Never a dull moment in this job and you get to experience new things and make new discovers. Having special access helps as well.