Friday, February 1, 2008

Covering Two Area High School Basketball Games

So I've been telling you about some of the differences I have personally noticed while doing my internship with WYTV 33 in the WKBN Station, and this week I noticed one major difference. When I arrived on Wednesday, I knew I would be going out with Bill to cover an area game, but I didn't know which game it would be. Bill said that we would be covering two area girl's basketball games. I automatically thought that it would just be 33 covering the game, but towards the end of the fourth quarter I noticed another competing station covering the game as well....but it was then that I noticed that the 3 stations who merged have an advantage over other local stations. Not only do they get to form a close bond together with one another and learn from eachother, but when one of the three stations cover an event, the other 2 go out and cover other games as well and then they all share their footage with one another. They may use the same footage, but not always run the same stories. This now means that they can cover more games than they normally would because they are working as a team and can go out and cover more. So the other competing station who didn't merge which is 21 usually doesn't get as much footage from area games like the other three.....how cool is that? This merger is becoming something we may see more and more in the future and could really benefit people in their viewing areas because they can give them more local news.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

With your sports orientation, do you think your senior project will go in that direction? Perhaps you should talk with DJ Renninger and David Greig about working with Titantown Sports. Both of them have senior projects tied to the segment.