Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sports 101!

I know that I didn’t have to choose a Broadcast Major for this prompt, but I had to. The Westminster graduate that I know and admire is DJ Yokely. DJ was a transfer student who was a broadcast communications major. He was the host of our "Coach’s Corner Segment" in which he would interview the Head Football Coach at Westminster and a player. I really admire him for doing that show. I know what it is like to host sports show, but mine deals with every sport, and gives me the opportunity to do feature packages. His show focused on football. He had to do tons of highlights, play-by-play, and set up an interview segment for both the coach and player. He did an exceptional job!

DJ was also in my sports broadcasting class that was taught by Bob Hannon! DJ was an intern for the same station and before the merger was working there part-time. One of the greatest memories I have is when DJ and I were teamed up for a feature package for our class. He wanted me to do a stand up and pitch the story as if I was hosting sports show live. It was the first time I was ever in front of the camera in college and let me tell you I was so NERVOUS! He guided me along, and made sure that I was comfortable and that was something that I always remember when I step in front of the camera. Funny story is that he is back at the station doing some "VJ"work! No matter where I go, or what I do, I will always remember that first opportunity he gave me to stand up in front of the camera! I have loved it ever since! He could have done that stand up or pitched that story himself since he had so much experience, but he gave me that chance! I am forever thankful!

No comments: